Translate

2013/01/07

Run baby run... Murakami book

Haruki Murakami
'Ka as kalbu, kai kalbu apie begima' / "Hashiru koto ni tsuite kataru toki ni boku no kataru koto"

What I Talk About When I Talk About Running


“I’m struck by how, except when you’re young, you really need to prioritize in life, figuring out in what order you should divide up your time and energy. If you don’t get that sort of system set by a certain age, you’ll lack focus and your life will be out of balance.” 

"Exerting yourself to the fullest within your individual limits: that's the essence of running, and a metaphor for life--and for me, for writing as well."

"AS - NE ZMOGUS. AS - MASINA. MASINA, TODEL NERA BUTINA KA NORS JAUSTI. REIKIA TIK JUDETI I PRIEKI".

"Ko gero begimas buvo pats naudingiausias ir reiksmingiausias iprotis is visu tu, kuriuos iki siol per visa savo gyvenima esu igijes. Manau, kad begiojimas, trukes daugiau nei 20 metu be jokiu pertrauku, lavino ir atiprino tiek mano kuna, tiek dvasia."

"Svarbiausia yra tai, ar parasytas kurinys atitinka tavo paties nustatytus kriterijus, ar ne. Jeigu ne, save pateisinti buna sunku. Kitiems gal ir galima kaip nors pasiaiskinti, taciau saves apgauti nepavyks. Sia prasme rasymas labai panasus i maratono begima".


“For me, running is both exercise and a metaphor. Running day after day, piling up the races, bit by bit I raise the bar, and by clearing each level I elevate myself. At least that’s why I’ve put in the effort day after day: to raise my own level. I’m no great runner, by any means. I’m at an ordinary – or perhaps more like mediocre – level. But that’s not the point. The point is whether or not I improved over yesterday. In long-distance running the only opponent you have to beat is yourself, the way you used to be.”

No comments: